Part 1--
"If you think you need to go see her, talk to her, get some closure, David," Jordan said one evening after David's nightmare about Stefanie, "then do what you think you need to do. I know what it's like to have something to say to someone and not be able to say it."
"Jord, this is someone I thought I was in love with," David said. "She was right when she told me that I wasn't in love with her, but at the time, I wanted to believe I was. Do you feel comfortable with me seeing a former lover?"
"To be honest, David, no I'm not," Jordan said; "But I also know you're not the same man now that you were then. We've all done stupid things in life we wish we could take back; things we wish we could have said at the time they happened, but for some reason were unable to. If you need this closure, then I'm not going to stand in your way."
David just looked at his wife. He couldn't believe that she was telling him to go see Stefanie and get closure to their life together from years ago.
"Jordan, why are you being so willing to just let me go and see her?" he asked her.
"You didn't handle thinking she was dead very well, and I kinda knew that there was no closure to that relationship," Jordan said. "She just walked out of your life, didn't she?"
"I can't say I blamed her," said David. "I was impossible then. It's only been in the last few years that I've realized it. And, no, I didn't handle thinking she was dead well." He paused, then said,
"Almost like when you learned that Morbus was really Jacob, isn't it, Jordan?"
It was Jordan's turn to look at David with a critical eye. How much did he know about that meeting she had with Morbus nine years before?
"You knew about that?" Jordan asked in disbelief.
"He'd wanted to tell you for years," David said. "I figured that the reason you stayed in his room so long nine years ago was so that he could do just that."
"David, there was something else about that meeting I never told you about," Jordan said. "The way I found out that Morbus and Jacob were the same person."
"If you didn't tell me then, Jordan, there's no point in telling me now. I figured you had your reasons for not doing so," David said.
"We also promised to be honest with each other, David," Jordan said. "Weren't those part of our vows when we got married?"
"Yes, they were, Jord, but..."
"I need to tell you this, because ever since you thought you found Stefanie's body in the house in Austin, what happened between me and Morbus has been making me feel like a fraud," Jordan said.
David took Jordan into his arms. "I don't need to know. That's between you and Morbus. Nothing that happened in the past could ever change the way I feel about you. It was before we got together."
"David," Jordan looked up at him, and he saw that she had tears in her eyes; "Morbus is the one who asked me to give you a chance to love me."
"I know, Jordan," David said. "Morbus told me years ago. I knew I was in love with you the moment I met you at that rally after your escape from prison. The one where I introduced you to the world as a heroine of the cause."
"I remember," Jordan said. "But I didn't know how you felt about me then. I was in no condition to have a relationship with anyone at that point."
"I know, Jord, and I'm still angry at myself for pushing myself on you that one time," said David.
"You were living in the moment," Jordan said; "I was angry at the world. At you. At myself. I still feel bad I treated you that way."
"I deserved it," David said. "You should have heard the tongue lashing I got from Danny when I told him. I deserved that, too."
Jordan laughed; "I can only imagine what he must have said!" Then, getting back to the original topic of their discussion, she said,
"But, about Stefanie; If you feel you need to have closure or forgiveness or something else from her, then you should at least call her on the phone. I think you need to do this in able to move forward with your life. Since she's not the body you found, you should be relieved she's still with us."
"I'll call her in the morning," David said; "But right now and for the last nine years, my angel, you are everything I could ever want or need..."
David kissed Jordan deeply, and she responded in kind. "You're too good for me Jordan Michelle," he whispered to her as she loved him. "But I need you so much..."
----------
Following her target wasn't too difficult, Rebekah found. He was so predictible that killing him was almost too easy. But, he was sent by the New Government to kill her brother, and blood is thicker. Even though Luke had no idea she was still alive, he was still her brother; just as Jordana was still her twin sister.
Don't fuck with my family, Rebekah thought. You fucked with me and now it's time for you to die.
She observed him putting a silencer on a high powered rifle. Luke would have no time to defend himself, Rebekah thought.
She allowed the killer she had been trained to be to take over. Paul Francesco had no idea his time was coming.
And he'd never know his demise would come at the hands of the teenage girl he got hooked on heroin in order to take advantage of her.
"Payback's a bitch, Paulie," Rebekah said under her breath.
----------
Dan couldn't believe what he was reading. There was intel indicating that a hit had been taken out on Christine Collins, the Director of Training and Recruitment for the Disturbed Ones Security Forces.
"Why the fuck does someone want to see Christine dead?" Dan wondered aloud.
He knew that Christine had come up through the ranks in the old Army, and was as tough as nails when it came to the way assassins were trained. She had once been a sniper, and she knew a good candidate when she saw one. It was through her that Morbus had to get permission to train Julia when she was fifteen. Usually, a recruit had to be eighteen or older, but because of Julia's extensive training with firearms from such a young age, and the talent she had for killing (as evidenced by the fact that she killed the New Army team that had murdered her guardians), Christine gave her permission.
Now someone wanted her dead.
"Maybe to keep her from training more snipers and assassins who are more skilled than anyone the Illegals could train," Dan said to himself. "Look how many got killed in Austin..."
Dan knew he had to inform someone of this new developement in the war. He had to tell Christine to have someone watch her back.
----------
Ryan told Julia that he needed to put a blindfold over her eyes for a little while. She allowed him to do so because she trusted him, and knew this had to do with her birthday. He has a surprise for me, like he said, she thought as he led her to the car.
Once inside, she felt the car taking a path she wasn't familiar with. She wasn't afraid, because she trusted him.
After a few moments, the car stopped. Ryan helped her out of the car and again led her to a place that she would recognize once the blindfold was removed.
When Ryan got to the back stoop of the San Marco's former residence, he removed the blindfold. Julia looked around and knew exactly where she was.
"This is the house I lived in til I was twelve," she said. "Why did you bring me here, Ryan?"
"Because I wanted to bring you to a place from your past that you recognized," Ryan said; "and what better place than the house you grew up in?"
"My guardians were killed in this house," Julia said. She had to admit to herself she was a little confused by Ryan's logic.
"I know, baby," Ryan said. "I wanted to bring you here to make this a happy place again."
Julia sat on the stoop, just like she had so many times as a little girl. "How are you going to make this a happy place again?" she asked Ryan.
For answer, Ryan bent down on one knee and took Julia's hand. He then said,
"Julia, you have been the light of my life ever since I first laid eyes on you, and I wanted to bring you here to ask you something."
Julia sat speechless. She knew what was coming. She already knew what she was going to tell him. But she let him continue.
"I brought you here to ask you if you would be my wife. Julia Rachel Terranova, will you marry me?"
Julia couldn't hold it inside anymore. She wanted nothing more than to spend the rest of her life with Ryan.
"Ryan," she began, trying not to let her voice tremble; "I would love to be your wife! So my answer to your question is yes! Yes, I will marry you!"
Before she realized it, Ryan was slipping a ring on her left ring finger. She just stared at it. It was simple; it was beautiful.
"Jules..." Ryan said; "there's something else I wanted to tell you."
She looked up at him. At that moment, they were the only ones in the universe that mattered.
"What is it, Ryan?"
"I talked to your brothers the other day," Ryan began, "I know that Peter and Kiera left this house to the four of you in their wills. I asked them if I could buy out their shares in the house, fix it up, and we could move in here together when we get married. All three of them agreed to allow me to do so. Jere said that it would be his and Jasmine's gift to us."
"Ryan, so much happiness was in this house when I was little," Julia said. "I met my mother here when she was cleared by her doctors to come visit me; All of my childhood was spent here. Then the Illegals had to ruin it all by killing Peter and Kiera."
"There could be happiness here again, Julia," Ryan said. "You, me, children, dogs and cats..."
"That's something that I didn't have growing up," Julia said. "Pets. Nik was allergic to pet dander, so we had no dogs or cats. I've always wanted a cat though."
"Would you be willing to allow me to buy out your brothers shares in the house, redo it from top to bottom, then move in here when we marry. Start a family here?" asked Ryan.
"I think that Peter and Kiera would approve," Julia said. "I still really miss them."
Ryan took Julia into his arms. "I know, baby," he said softly. "I want to make new memories for us here. Peter and Kiera would want you to move on from the bad thing that happened here and have a new beginning."
"I know you're right," Julia said. "So yes, buy out Nik, Jere and Joe. A whole new chapter is starting for us. This house should get a fresh start, too."
"That's my girl," Ryan said as he picked up his newly engaged finacee' and carried her to the car. "Shall we go tell your mom and David about what happened just now?"
"Yes!" Julia said. "This'll blow Mom's mind!"
----------
Francesco readied his rifle for the hit on his target. Resistance scum must die for their loyalty to the Disturbed Ones, he thought.
The target led a jailbreak in a remote part of another region, allowing one hundred Undesirables to escape. None had been recaptured, which pissed off the Committee. They hired Francesco to take out one of the leaders of the jailbreak. A man by the name of Luke Terranova. He was the nephew of Jordan Terranova Draiman, the wife of the Disturbed Ones leader. Maybe they'll let me kill Draiman when I kill this piece of shit, Francesco thought.
He wanted the money that he was promised for completing the hit. It'll buy a lotta smack and a lotta pussy, he thought.
Francesco had no idea he was being stalked. His life had minutes to go, and he had not a care in the world. All he could think about was heroin and whores.
His stalker knew him quite well. Anticipated his every move with a killer's accuracy. Allowed the killer instinct to take over.
Francesco hid in the woods adjacent to the house he had followed the target to. All he had to do is wait for the target, or a member of his family, to come outside. Then they'd be his.
He didn't know the woods where he hid. His stalker did, having grown up in those very woods and knew them well. The stalker's knowledge would be Paul Francesco's downfall. The minutes ticked away on his life.
Finally, an older gentleman came outside to go to his car. Francesco aimed his weapon at the man's head. He'd never know what hit him, Francesco said to himself.
----------
Oh, no you don't, you motherfucker, Rebekah thought as she saw her father come outside and walk to his car; You are not going to kill my father.
She saw Francesco near a stand of trees, aiming his weapon at her father's head. She aimed her rifle at Francesco's neck, where the jugular vein was. If her aim was true, he'd bleed out in a matter of seconds, even before help could arrive.
He started to pull the trigger, but the gun did not fire. The older man he was about to kill heard something coming from his direction and ran to the back of his car, somehow producing a weapon of his own.
Francesco was getting frustrated with the rifle. The safety was off, but he was clueless as to why the gun did not fire. It would be his last thought.
He felt something burning his neck, the pain and the burning sensation so great he collapsed on the ground. Then, as the bullet knicked his spine, he felt nothing. Then, there was darkness followed by fire.
The girl once known as Angela had gotten her revenge on the man who took advantage of her as a scared seventeen year old. Her brother, sister and father were safe from assassin's bullets.
Rebekah then disappeared into the woods. No one would ever know she was the one who killed the stranger with the rifle in the woods.
She only wished she could tell her father she was still alive, and that she loved and missed him terribly.
----------
Part 2--
"Are they here yet?" asked Niki. "Are they here yet?"
"No," said Kimber, looking out the living room window with her sister, "not yet."
Their father walked into the living room from his home office and asked their mother, "Who are they waiting for?"
"Julia and Ryan," Jordan said. "The girls are convinced that Julia and Ryan will be here any second."
"What if they decide not to come, Jordan?" asked David. "We'll have two very disappointed young ladies on our hands."
"Julia told me that she'd come over. I figured that Ryan would come with her."
"Oh," David said. "After all, it is Julia's birthday."
"Yes," Jordan said, remembering the fear she felt as she went into labor seventeen years before. Jacob was dead, and the Illegals were going to steal her child.
"Jordan?" David asked, seeing the blank expression on his wife's face. He knew that meant she was having a flashback. "Jordan?"
Jordan having a flashback now would scare the girls, David thought suddenly. He rubbed Jordan's back to try and calm her down before she got too far into it. "Jordan, it's okay. I'm here with you, my angel..." he whispered to her.
Just then, the girls got excited as they saw Ryan's car pull into the driveway of the house.
"They're here! They're here!" they chattered, jumping up and down. That seemed to bring Jordan back to the present time, David noted.
Niki and Kimber sprinted to the door as Jordan followed behind them. She knew something had happened, but couldn't remember anything between the time David mentioned Julia's birthday and now.
Soon Julia and Ryan walked into the house, where they were met by the twins, still chattering away. Julia laughed while Ryan shook David's hand.
"How did it go?" David whispered to Ryan.
"Very well," Ryan replied. "She said yes."
"Good job!" David said, laughing. He then noticed Julia giving her mother a hug.
"Mom, you okay? You seem a little out of it," Julia asked Jordan.
"I don't think I am, Jules," Jordan said. "I think I had a flash episode."
"We'll talk about that, okay?" Julia said. "Right now, I have something to show you."
"What is it, Julia?" asked Jordan.
"This..." Julia said as she held out her left hand to show her mother the engagement ring.
"Oh, David, come look at this!" Jordan exclaimed. "My little girl's gotten herself engaged!"
Kimber and Niki looked at each other. "I thought we were Mama's little girls," Kimber said.
"Julia's not a little girl," Niki said at almost the same time. "She's a big girl."
Julia came over to where her sisters sat on the floor and sat down next to them. She showed her baby sisters the ring Ryan gave her.
"Ryne gave you that?" Niki asked.
"Why?" asked Kimber.
"Because he wants to marry me. There's another ring to go with this one when we get married," Julia explained.
"Like Nikky and KateLynn?" Kimber asked.
"Like Jer'miah and Jasmine?" followed Niki.
"Yes," Julia said. "Like Mama and Daddy, too. Jeremiah and Jasmine haven't gotten married yet."
"She got a ring like that," Niki said.
"Oh," Kimber said suddenly, "you have to get that ring before you get married. Right Julia?"
"That's the way it usually works," Julia said. "But some people are different. Some don't get the first ring. Like Mama and Daddy did."
Uh-oh, Jordan thought. There's something else we have to explain to them.
The family gathered in the kitchen for presents and birthday cake. Julia had to admit to herself that this was the best birthday she'd had in a long time. She had Ryan, her sisters, her mother and David. She even looked forward to the arrival of her baby brothers in the fall.
But she was worried about her mother.
----------
Morbus appeared in Dan's office after he was summoned to do so. Morbus had a feeling that whatever it was that motivated Dan into asking him here was not going to be something he wanted to hear.
Dan was pacing, wondering what he was going to tell Christine Collins about the threat to her life.
"Dan, you asked me to come see you," Morbus said.
"Yes," Dan said as he stopped pacing and sat behind his desk. Morbus, as was his custom, remained standing. "I have a dilemma and I wondered if you could help me figure out a solution to it."
"About what, Dan?" asked Morbus.
"I have intel that indicates that our Director of Training and Recruitment has a credible threat to her life, and I'm not sure how to approach her with it," Dan said.
"Someone wants to kill Christine?" Morbus asked. "I will not allow that to happen."
"Short of you going to the Arlington Sector, Morbus, I don't see how you could keep Christine safe," said Dan, puzzled.
"If there is a threat against Christine, I want to be the one who is sent to neutralize it," Morbus said. "She and I have been friends for years, and I would do anything to make sure she and her son are safe."
Dan was even more puzzled by that statement. What was going on between Morbus and Christine besides friendship? he thought.
"You know I'll have to speak to David about that," Dan said. "In the meantime, Christine has to know about the threat to her life."
"Christine likes being told information like that directly, and without bullshit," Morbus said. "She's military trained, so she wouldn't appreciate someone beating around the bush about her safety because of her gender."
"You're suggesting that I call her and tell her, 'Madame Director, there's been a threat against your life'?"
"Precisely."
"Okay..." Dan said. "I'll call and tell her straight up that someone wants her dead. Meanwhile, I'll talk to David about sending you to Arlington, IF that's what Director Collins wants."
"Thank you, Dan."
Before Dan had a chance to respond, he noticed that Morbus was gone.
"Damn, how does he do that shit?" he asked himself aloud.
----------
Jayme looked at herself in the bathroom mirror one morning after taking a shower. She was starting to show, and she was both sad and happy. Sad because she had yet to tell Neil about the baby, as he had been out of touch as the divorce proceedings between him and the President were getting more and more press. She was certain that once things calmed down, he would be in touch.
She was happy because she had now passed the point of the miscarriage she had in December. She thought she could feel the baby moving.
A sonogram indicated that she was carrying a girl, so she was thinking of girls names. Jayme liked Cassandra, as that was Neil's sister, Casey's, given name, but she didn't like the way it sounded with her surname. Jayme had resigned herself to the fact that hers and Neil's daughter would not bear her father's surname. There was nothing against using it as a middle name, though, Jayme thought. Hope could be a first name. Or a middle name. She was pretty sure that no one would tie the use of that name with the estranged husband of the President.
Jayme liked the name Jayde, too, but it was too close to her son's name, Jayden.
She sighed as she towelled off and got dressed. Jayme didn't need maternity clothes yet, as her usual attire was sweatpants and t-shirts. Maybe in another month or so, she thought, I'll look into getting something. No use in advertising the fact she was expecting. As far as anyone knew, her baby's father had died months ago.
He had, but no one knew it yet.
----------
There's something about that house out there that's just not right, the teenage boy who biked by there every day thought. He thought he smelled something odd, but didn't know what it could be.
Probably a crack house, or a drug den, he thought. I should just mind my own and just get past here as quickly as possible.
Soon, not even he could ignore the horrid smells that came from the little house at the beach, with a half mile private road leading to it.
----------
"Madame Director," Dan began once he got Christine on the phone, "I have information that indicates there is a credible threat to your life."
"What's the timeline we're looking at, Dan?" she asked him.
"There is no timeline, per se," Dan said; "just an end date. That date is December 31 of this year."
"Why is that? If someone wanted to kill me, why don't they just come out and try?" asked Christine.
"Maybe they don't have anyone trained to do so at this time," Dan offered. "The New Army has had problems with their sniper training programs."
"That's because they're sending civilians out to do their dirty work, and not those who already have those skills," Christine said. "Twelve gunmen were killed in Austin last month, Dan, and none of them were part of the New Army."
"Our assassins and sniper teams could do a better job, in your opinion, Madame Director?" asked Dan.
"You know they can," Christine shot back; "I'd put Nik San Marco or Julia Terranova up against the New Army's best any day!"
"There is something else I think you need to know," Dan said.
"What's that?"
"Morbus has indicated to me that he wants to be the one sent to keep the hit from happening," Dan said; "I told him I'd have to speak with David first, and even if David gave his okay, that it was up to you to decide whether you thought you needed protection."
That would be too much of a distraction, Christine thought. Aloud she said,
"Have David call me, Dan. I don't want to take Morbus away from his position of protecting David if it's not warranted."
"I'll speak with David and have him call you, Madame Director," Dan said.
"Very good," Christine said. "Tell David I look forward to hearing from him."
"Will do," Dan said. Then Christine ended the call.
Morbus was right, he thought. Christine is not the type of woman you beat around the bush with.
----------
As Christine hung up the phone, all kinds of scenarios came to mind about who and why the New Government wanted her eliminated.
All were credible in her mind, but having Morbus come back here to protect her? Christine wasn't sure about that. Her feelings for him, and his for her, could cause more problems than it solved.
If there is a real threat, she thought, I'll have to find a safe place for JT to go. I will not risk my son's life over what I do for a living. I know Jacob wouldn't either.
Christine allowed her mind to wander a bit, back to the day she and Morbus met.
----------
It was her first trip to the Disturbed Ones compound in Chicagoland, and Christine was a little nervous about meeting the charismatic Disturbed frontman, David Draiman. His leadership brought people together, and that was something that Christine's higher ups could no longer deny.
She had just become the Director of Training and Recruitment for the Security Forces; it was the closest thing that the Disturbed Ones had to a military style force of those who would fight for the cause and the restoration of the country's historical documents and laws. Christine had been the assistant director until the untimely death of her predecessor, a man who had hand picked her to be his second in command.
She was picked up at an airfield that had no name, and was not on any map that Christine had ever seen of the area.
The man who picked her up was someone she knew from before the New Government took over. He was a decorated veteran of the old Marine Corps, now working for the Disturbed Ones as a weapons expert.
"Peter, how nice it is to see you again," Christine said. "How is Kiera? She's well, I trust?"
"Kiera and the children are doing well," Peter San Marco said. "And it's good to see you again as well, Chris... or should I say 'Madame Director'."
"If it's just us, 'Chris' is fine," Christine said. "But use my title when we're around others. I haven't quite gotten used to it myself."
"It's still pretty new to you, isn't it?" Peter asked.
"Yeah, it is," replied Christine. "Director Roush died so suddenly that my promotion to his position was kind of a shock. Not to mention I'm the first female to hold the post, and the youngest as well. I didn't set out to make a statement. But some people see it that way."
They got into the armored Hummer, and as she sat down, Christine noticed the bodyguard in the back seat. She couldn't see his face. All he said to her was,
"Madame Director."
She was driven to the compound offices, where she and Peter got out and walked inside the building.
"Who was the bodyguard sitting behind us, Peter?" Christine asked.
"That's Morbus. David sent him to protect you as you were brought in from the airfield."
"How come I couldn't see his face?"
"He is considerably disfigured, Chris," Peter said. "He was captured by the Illegals and tortured. Part of the torture was being set on fire."
"How horrible!" Christine gasped. "And he lived to tell the tale! He had a pretty strong will to live, I must say."
"He's the top assassin we have right now," Peter said. "I'd like to see others. Maybe have a whole separate part of the Security Forces dedicated to an assassin or sniper team."
"That's a great idea, Peter!" Christine said. "If something like that does come to pass, would you like to be in charge of it?"
"It would be an honor and a priviledge to serve the Disturbed Ones in that manner," Peter said.
"I'll speak to David about it, because I think it's a great idea," Christine said. "David is a target now, so we have to protect him at all costs."
"Agreed," Peter said as they arrived at David's office.
----------
After the meeting, where David thought that Peter's idea was a great idea as well, Christine was taken to the Lodge on the compound where she would spend the night. Morbus accompanied her to her room, then turned to leave.
"Morbus, please wait a moment," Christine said.
"Yes, Madame Director?"
"May I see your face?" she asked.
"No, Madame Director," Morbus said. "I cannot do that."
"I've seen disfigured people before, Morbus," Christine said. "I know what happened to you. Nothing like that shocks me anymore. I've been in the miliary since I was eighteen. I've seen war. I've seen the horrid things that people do to each other during battle. I've seen my share of battle wounds."
"Still, I cannot, Madame Director," Morbus said.
"Why? Because I'm female?"
"Yes."
"Oh, please!" Christine said, angered. "I'm not some delicate little flower. I'd have never survived Basic if I had been."
"I'm sorry, Madame Director, if I offended you," said Morbus.
"I'm more offended that you keep calling me 'Madame Director', rather by my given name," Christine said. "My name is Christine. When it's just the two of us, I'd prefer being called by the name I was given by my parents."
"Yes, Madam...er, Christine."
"Your name?" Christine asked. "Don't tell me 'Morbus'; I know that means 'sickness' in Latin. Your parents undoubtedly gave you a name."
"Christine, Morbus is the name I prefer to be called," said Morbus. "I'd be more comfortable if you could address me as such."
"Okay, fine. Morbus it is," Christine said. "Now can you take off your hood and let me see your face?"
Before Morbus had a chance to object, Christine reached up and removed the hood. He looked at her, and noticed she wasn't repulsed by his disfigurement.
He wasn't even angry that she took the initiative. He had been used to being around strong women. Especially one particular one.
"There," Christine said now; "That's not so bad. I've seen worse."
She reached up and traced Morbus' jawline. Morbus stood transfixed by her. Who did she think she was? The intimate gesture didn't shock him. Surprised, yes. But not shocked.
Morbus quickly replaced the hood. He felt embarrassed that he allowed her to expose him.
"Under all those scars, Morbus, is a real person with real feelings and a real soul," Christine said. "Never forget that. It's what separates us from the animals."
Morbus was speechless. No one, not even the doctors or therapists he was seeing, had ever said anything close to what this pretty blue-eyed redhead just said.
He thought he had only one person he could trust, if she ever got out of prison. But here was another one he could trust... he hoped.
---------
Part 3--
Rebekah returned to the compound after completing her assignment and checked in with Morbus. He already knew that Rebekah had been successful in her assignment to kill the assassin who had been sent to eliminate Luke Terranova, Jr.
"The motherfucker was going to kill my father, Morbus," Rebekah said. "He's the one who found Francesco's body in the woods and called the authorities."
"He was getting ready to kill the wrong Luke Terranova, apparently," Morbus replied.
"I think he would have killed anyone who stepped outside that day, be it Dad, Luke or Jordana," Rebekah said. "After I was certain that Francesco was dead, I so wanted to tell my father I was still alive and watching over him and my siblings. But I'd been ordered not to."
"Someday, Rebekah," Morbus said; "you can reveal your true identity to your family. Until that time, you need to keep that to yourself. You can't even tell Julia you're her cousin."
"I think she suspects something, though, Morbus," Rebekah said. "She's very observant of human nature. That's probably what makes her so good an assassin."
"You're probably right, Rebekah," Morbus said. "But you are not to reveal your family connection to Julia in any way. There will be a time for that, and this is not that time."
"Yes, Morbus," Rebekah said.
"I'll call Director Collins and let her know you've completed your assignment successfully," Morbus said. "I think she will be quite pleased."
"Please give her my regards when you speak to her, Morbus," Rebekah said.
"I shall, Rebekah," said Morbus. "You are free to leave and return to the dorms."
"Thank you, Morbus," she said as she turned to leave.
As soon as the girl was gone, Morbus called Christine.
----------
"So, she's returned unharmed, and wishing she could contact her family," Christine told Morbus when he called to report that Rebekah had completed the hit on Paul Francesco; "I wish I could let her do that, but at this time, their knowledge that she's still alive could put them in more danger. I know she misses them terribly."
"All she wanted was to tell her father," Morbus said. "I kind of understand that. I spent years watching Julia grow up and wishing I could tell my little girl I was her father. It was only when I thought I was dying that I told her."
"When David got kidnapped a couple years ago," Christine said. "I remember that. I privately freaked out when I got word that you had been shot."
"I'm sorry I made you worry, Christine," Morbus said. "Jordan didn't take it too well, either. Her husband had been kidnapped and the father of her oldest daughter damn near died. But she gave a speech that David had been scheduled to give that evening like a pro."
"I'd have expected nothing less from Jordan Terranova," Christine said. "She's a pretty strong woman to have gone through what she has and still be sane."
"You're pretty strong yourself, Christine," Morbus said.
"I'm military," Christine said. "There's no room for sissies here. As I told you when we met, I'd had never made it as far as I have if I were some delicate flower."
"But, my dear," Morbus said; "You are delicate when you need to be."
"Morbus!" Christine exclaimed, surprised that Morbus would bring up something personal like that in the course of an official conversation. She was sure that Morbus could see her blushing all the way from Chicagoland.
"Christine, I wasn't being personal," Morbus said, sensing the Director's embarrassment; "All I meant is that as a woman, you have a way with people that a man in your position might not have. I mean, you took Rebekah under your wing and became someone she could count on and trust."
"This is true, I did become a mother figure of sorts for her; since her own mother died when Rebekah was still quite young."
"See?" Morbus said.
"All right, you win this time," Christine said. "Now, about you protecting me because of this threat on my life..."
"I was told that you would have to talk to David first," Morbus said.
"I've called David, but he wasn't available. I've asked him to return my call as soon as he is able," Christine said.
"I await your answer about this, Christine," Morbus said. "I will not allow any harm to come to you and your son." He wanted to say "our son" but this was not a personal call.
"I will contact you as soon as I've spoken to David," Christine said.
"Very good, Madame Director," Morbus said.
"I will talk with you soon, Morbus," said Christine. She then ended the call.
I hope that having Jacob here isn't a mistake that could cost us both our lives, she thought.
----------
After the excitement of Julia and Ryan's engagement died down and the young couple left, David and Jordan had to calm down their twin daughters. Too much excitement for one day was causing problems at bedtime.
"I don't wanna go to bed, Daddy!" Niki said tearfully. "Wanna stay up like big girls do!"
"Me, too!" chimed in Kimber, just as tearfully.
"Now, ladies," David said; "I know that Julia doesn't get engaged everyday and that it's a big deal for all of us, but think how sad Julia would be if she knew you didn't want to go to bed because of what happened with her and Ryan today?"
Thank God Julia doesn't get engaged everyday, David thought. These girls would never sleep!
"Come on, Niki, Kimber," Jordan said, coming to David's rescue; "Let's get our nightgowns on and have a story, okay?"
"Okay," both girls said at once, not hiding their disappointment. They went off with their mother and David slipped out of their bedroom to his office down the hall.
He sat at his desk and got out the information for Stefanie Travetti. He sat and stared at it for a long while, debating whether or not to call her. As much as he wanted to talk to her, he worried that she wouldn't take his call. Though they parted amicably, it was with hurt feelings on both sides.
He hadn't realized how much time had gone by when Jordan came in and told him that the girls were waiting for him to tuck them in.
"What? Oh, sorry..." David said, distracted.
"You were just staring at those papers, David," Jordan said. "Maybe your little girls can take your mind off what has you so distracted."
David felt embarrassed, and he knew that Jordan knew it. He went off down the hall to tuck his daughters in.
Jordan looked over at the papers David was staring at. There were two names and a phone number. Jesus, David, just man up and call her already, Jordan thought. She probably knows you have her number and is waiting for your call.
"Men and their fragile fucking egos," she said to herself aloud.
----------
Parks had signed the order to eliminate Christine Collins, the Director of Training and Recruitment for the Security Forces, the paramilitary force used by the resistance group known as the Disturbed Ones. She made all the decisions regarding who gets trained to serve on the Security Forces and the Sniper and Assassin teams.
"This bitch has to go," Parks said as he signed the order. "She hand picks the best recruits to be assassins and snipers. If we can get her, then getting to Draiman might be easier."
"Draiman still has a bodyguard," Sasser pointed out. "You forget Morbus is a formidable foe as well. Look how many times he almost died in the last several years."
"Morbus is getting old," Sizemore said. "He'll no doubt be picking a successor soon. Even money has that job going to either Jeremiah Donovan or Nikolai San Marco. Maybe even both of them."
"Whoever Morbus' successor is," Parks said; "They'll meet with an untimely end. As will Morbus. Without those three, and that Collins bitch, Draiman is as good as dead."
Yeah, whatever Carl, Sasser thought to himself. You're still assuming Draiman is stupid. That's going to be YOUR undoing.
"Do we have an assassin who could actually get to their target before a Disturbed Ones assassin gets to them?" Sizemore asked. "Paul Francesco was a dismal failure."
"We'll have someone in place soon, and they'll be the best trained person we've got. They're getting extra training as we speak," Parks said.
Uh huh, Sasser thought. We'll see.
----------
After tucking his girls into their beds and singing them a couple of Hebrew lullabyes, he retreated to his office to make his phone call.
It was still early enough in the evening that he wouldn't catch Stefanie as she was retiring for the evening. He then remembered that Stefanie was a bit of a night owl. I wonder if she still stays up late, he thought.
"Oh stop making excuses and just call her!" he said out loud, not caring if anyone heard him.
He dialed the number that Kit had given him, and as it rang, David looked at the second name on the paper he'd written the information on.
Just then a familiar voice said,
"Hello?"
David cleared his throat, then said,
"Charlotte Rush, please?"
"This is Charlotte Rush, may I ask who's calling?"
"An old friend," David said. "From another lifetime ago."
"David?"
----------
Julia kept staring at her ring. She couldn't believe that anything that beautiful had been given to her. Her childhood music box came close, but even it was nothing like this.
"I take it you like the ring, Jules," Ryan said.
"Ryan, it's so beautiful," Julia said. "I can't believe this is really mine! How did you keep this a secret?"
"It was hard, because I wanted to ask you to marry me so much!" Ryan said. "I finally had to tell someone, so I told David. He kept the ring locked in his office until today. Happy birthday, baby!"
"This is the best birthday I've had in the last five years," Julia said.
"I hope to make all your birthdays this special," said Ryan.
"You have a lot to live up to, Ryan Summers, that's for damn sure!"
"I know," Ryan said, giving his fiancee' a squeeze. God, it doesn't get any better than this, he thought.
----------
"Yes, this is David, Stefanie. How are you?"
"God, it's been forever it seems since someone called me that," Stefanie said. "I'm doing okay. Kit told me she gave you my contact info. I just wondered if you'd really call. I know you've been busy trying to restore our former way of life all these years."
"I must have started to call you a dozen times," David said; "Then something would come up, or someone would want my assistance..."
"Or you chickened out?"
"That, too," David laughed. "It's good to hear your voice again. I guess after your arrest you really couldn't go back to being in radio, could you?"
"Not exactly," Stefanie said. "The New Government monitoring the airwaves for my voice or Dale's voice kind of made our profession impossible."
"How is Dale?"
"You haven't heard, I guess," Stefanie said. "Dale died several years ago. He had heart problems for years, and that big, generous heart finally gave out."
"I'm sorry to hear that," David said. "I liked Dale. I thought maybe you and he might have made a good couple."
"How do you know we didn't?" asked Stefanie.
"You mean you did?"
"Yes, David," Stefanie said. "We were married during the last four years of his life. All this after knowing him for nearly twenty years!"
"I had no idea, but I guess that was the point in using a different name," David said. "To make hiding in plain sight easier."
"We were just your typical second time around couple, living a quiet life by the sea."
"Still, I'm sorry to hear he had passed," David said.
"Thanks, David," Stefanie said; "but I have the feeling that you didn't call for idle chit chat."
"No, I didn't," said David. "I found a couple of things of yours at my house in Austin when we did a rally there about a month ago."
"My old Oklahoma license and my college ID?"
David was taken aback, then said,
"You knew about that?"
"Who do you think put them in the poor bastard's mouth?"
"Why?"
"In an attempt that if you ever returned to that house, you'd know to look for me," Stefanie said.
"I thought it was you!" exclaimed David; "I had nightmares about it!"
"I'm sorry David," Stefanie said; "That wasn't my intention. I only wanted to send you a message to look for me."
"Well, who was the poor devil whose remains I found?" asked David.
"The judge who ordered my execution," Stefanie said. "There's a long story as to how he ended up dead and I escaped. Dale had a lot to do with it."
"I guess I should have checked the anatomy a little more closely..."
"It doesn't matter now," Stefanie said.
David paused a bit before asking his next question; so long in fact that Stefanie had to ask if he was still on the line.
"The reason I called, the real reason, is that I need to close the chapter in my life when you left," David said. "It hurt like hell that you decided to leave, but in retrospect, I don't blame you one bit. I was an impossible person to deal with then."
"You want closure, then, is that it?" asked Stefanie.
"Yes."
Stefanie thought a moment, then said,
"You'll have to come here to get your closure, David. I don't do this shit on the phone."
"I have to make a trip to the Arlington Sector next week," David said; "would that be convienent for you?"
"I'll be here," Stefanie said. "Call me when you get in and I'll give you directions how to get here."
"I shall," David said. "You're going to make this as uncomfortable for me as possible, aren't you?"
"Payback's a bitch, isn't it, David?"
He had to concede that Stefanie had a point.
----------
No comments:
Post a Comment