An accidental summer writing project that took seven months to complete. Enjoy!

10 August, 2010

Chapter 16-- Exposure

Part 1--

Terranova sat up in bed. "What the fuck...?" he asked, not believing that his niece was pointing a loaded weapon at him.

"You heard me," Julia said. "Who are you and why are you here...and I want the truth or I'll have no problem blowing your brains out."

"Girl, have you lost your fucking mind?" Matt asked, shocked. "I'm your uncle. Your mother's brother."

"That's what you want me to believe," Julia said. "When's Jordan's birthday?"

"July 18th, why?"

"When was Jacob's birthday?"

"All I know is that it was in May, I don't even know the date."

"It was the 3rd," Julia said. "What are your brothers names?"

"Why are you asking me all this?" Terranova asked. "John, Luke and Mark are my brothers' names. John died several years ago."

He saw Julia lower the Glock. Then she asked, "Why have you been so mean to your sister? Didn't you think she deserved to live her life her way, and love whom she wanted to love, regardless of what religious beliefs he held?"

"I was mean to her because I was stupid," Terranova said. "My father was a very stubborn man. He expected more from Jordan and was disappointed when she didn't live up to his vision of her life. Look, your mother has already forgiven me, can't you just let it go?"

"Why now?" asked Julia. "Why did you pick now to beg her forgiveness?"

"Because I saw on the news that she'd gotten shot, and I didn't think I'd get another chance," Terranova said. "You happy now, young lady?"

"No," Julia said. "I could never turn my back on someone in my family for stupid reasons like that. Everyone has the right to live their lives the way they want."

"You didn't know my father," Terranova said. "His word was law at our house. He expected all of us to live life that reflected well on him and our mother. So when his only daughter shows up pregnant with a Jewish boy on her arm, he didn't take kindly to that. Me, I didn't care what Jordan did with her life or who she spent it with. As long as she was happy; but my father, even after we all became adults, scared the shit out of me. It's my one failing as a human being... to let a hard headed man run my life."

"Your father was a mean old man who had to boss people around," Julia said. "He was a bully, plain and simple."

"Did your mother tell you that?"

"She didn't have to. Any parent who turns against their child because they fell in love with the wrong guy is no better than our current system of government. My mother went to prison for five years because of her relationship with my father. Was that fair?"

"Of course not!"

"Your father probably turned her in," said Julia.

"Does Jordan believe that?"

"She's never said," Julia said. "But it wouldn't surprise me if he did. People got rewards for turning in Undesirables back then."

The idea that his father turned Jordan over to the New Government made Terranova sick. How could this girl even think like that? Because it was true?

"Look, can I go back to sleep now without the fear you're going to kill me?" he asked Julia.

"Yeah," she said. "But I was never here, got that? I'll deny it if you ever bring it up in front of my mother or David."

"I'd like to forget this ever happened and just be your Uncle Matt. Would that be okay with you?"

"Yeah, fine," said Julia as she left the room.

----------

Neil was in his room in the mental health wing of a hospital outside the Capitol Sector when his primary doctor came in to see him.

"I've been looking over my notes on your treatment here, Neil, and I'm quite pleased," Dr. Smith said. "I'd have no problem releasing you in a couple of weeks."

"That's great news," Neil said. "I've been itching to get out of here to start living my new life. Just to prove to myself that I don't need to resort to violence when I get frustrated. I just want to be the man I always knew I could be."

"You've done well with the sessions where you talk about being abused as a child," Smith said.

"That's not a normal way to live," Neil said. "I know that now."

"Shall we set February 2nd as a release date then?"

"Sounds good," Neil said; "but could you do me one favor?"

"What's that?"

"Don't tell my wife I'm being released. I have some property on the Eastern Shore of Maryland that I want to go visit before I go home. I want to do that alone so that I can collect my thoughts and take in everything life has to offer. I don't think I can deal with Sarah Kathryn right away," said Neil.

"I can do that, but if she calls after your release, I have to tell her. You realize that," said Smith.

"Yes," Neil said. "I want her to think I'm still here for a while after I actually leave."

"That would be fine. I know being the husband of the president isn't an easy task."

"You got that right," Neil said.

----------

After the doctor left, all Neil could think about was calling Jayme and telling her he was okay and that there would not be any more violence against her or anyone else.

He fantasized about making sweet, gentle love to her; to just be in her presence; to see her smile at him again. He just wanted to be with her.

And only her.

----------

Lane Sizemore was seen leaving a home in a well heeled part of town. The home wasn't his. It belonged to a "special friend" he went to see on occasion.

Sizemore had no idea he was being followed, nor any idea that the information that was gathered on him was being sent to the main opponent of his Committee. He walked out to his car and drove off in search of another fix.

It was getting dark, and that's when the little girls would be out to play. He cruised dimly lit streets in a neighborhood that was a complete opposite of the one he just left. But this was where the girls were, and he knew he had to go there to play.

Up ahead, he saw one that interested him. Five-three, about one hundred-ten pounds. She looked so lost out here in the big wide world.

He rolled down his window and asked the girl, "Hey darlin', whatcha got?"

"More'n you can handle, old man."

"I can handle you, sweetheart," Sizemore said. "How much?"

"Five."

"Hop in, baby girl, let daddy give ya a ride," Sizemore said as the girl got in. He noticed she had a nice set of tits for one her size.

"Whatcha like, baby," the girl said.

"I'd like a fuck, baby girl," Sizemore said. He felt her hand in his crotch, feeling up his hard on.

"I can do that for ya," she said. "You gotta place to go, or we doin' it here in the car?"

"I gotta place to go," Sizemore said.

"Good," the girl said. "I don't wanna be busted for hustlin my wares outside again."

As Sizemore drove away, a car followed them through traffic. There were two men in the car. One filmed the car ahead of them while the other drove. Finally, Sizemore's car turned into a motel on the edge of town. The car following them pulled into the long closed donut shop across the street. They had a good view of the new Committee Co-Chairman and the seventeen year old hooker he just picked up.

"I can't believe she actually is going to let that man fuck her," Jeremiah said. "It makes me skin crawl."

"Mine, too, brother," Nik said. "But this is the only way we can prove what Nicole Donegan was told is true. Any two bit whore can make shit up."

"She didn't make up those bruises that were in the pictures," Jeremiah said.

"But we don't know if Sizemore did those or not," Nik said.

"I hope Jules has enough sense to not let it get that far," Jeremiah said. "What the hell did she tell Ryan about where she was going?"

"That's between the two of them, Jere," Nik said. "She doesn't give me the details of their conversations!"

"I hope this doesn't take long," Jeremiah said. "I want to get out of here and get home to Jasmine."

"You not going to live at school anymore?" asked Nik.

"I still have my apartment, but when I'm home, I'll stay with Jasmine," Jeremiah said.

"You're really crazy about that girl, aren't you?"

"Are you crazy about KateLynn, Nik?"

"Of course I am!"

"There's your answer then," Jeremiah said. Then, "Nik, look, Sizemore came out of his room!"

Nik turned on the camera and filmed Sizemore going to the soda machine, putting in money for two cans of soft drinks. Then he returned to his room and closed the door.

"I wonder what Jules has up her sleeve," Nik asked.

"Guess we'll find out soon," Jeremiah said.

----------

Sizemore came back into the room with the sodas Ashley asked for.

Meanwhile, she had undressed, per his request. She had a nice, tight, muscular body. It will be heaven to bang this slut, he thought.

"You like, darlin'?"

"I more than like, baby girl," Sizemore said as he undressed. Ashley figured his hardness was at least eight inches; not as much as I usually get, she thought, but he'll do.

Sizemore even put on the condom she asked him to wear. He had his own in case these dumb girls forgot to bring some. Ashley wasn't a dumb girl though. She was prepared. He wondered why he hadn't seen her before.

He climbed on the bed and ordered her to her knees. He was going to take her from behind. She was agreeable and he began to work himself inside her and take her for all she was worth. He was pleasantly surprised that she worked him. She liked it a bit rough, so maybe he'd look her up again some time when he needed some young pussy.

It was over too soon for Sizemore's liking though. Damn this getting old business, he thought as he withdrew from Ashley. And damn this having to piss afterwards, too.

"That was very good, baby girl," he said. "How come you ain't been around before?"

"Kinda new here," Ashley said. "I work alone, so I'm not splitting my money with a pimp. God knows several of them wanted me to work for them, but I told 'em I wasn't interested."

"That could get you killed," Sizemore said.

"Naah," said Ashley. "I gots me protection. Couple of fierce looking guys who watch my back and don't want a cut of my money."

"I gotta piss darlin'," said Sizemore, "open one of those sodas for me, would ya?"

"Sure will."

Ashley opened one of the cans, took a small vial from her bag, and poured the contents inside. Sizemore would never know it was there.

"That ought to put him out," she mumbled to herself. She then took the other can, opened it, and was drinking from it when Sizemore came out of the bathroom.

He grabbed it, sat on the bed, and took a large swallow. God, that hit the spot, Sizemore thought. He drained the can then lay back on the bed. Within a moment or two, he was out.

Ashley saw this and took his wallet out of his pocket and put it in her bag. She then got dressed, went into the bathroom to retrieve the condom Sizemore wore, placed it in a plastic zipper bag and put that in her bag as well. She then got out her camera and took pictures of Sizemore laying naked on the bed. She left the room with her bag slung across her body, and her heels in one hand. She ran across the street and got into the back seat of the dark sedan waiting in the donut shop parking lot.

"Mission accomplished," Julia said.

---------

"Did you really have to have sex with that creep?" Jeremiah asked.

"Yes, I did," Julia said. "I have the used condom to prove it, too."

"Does Ryan know what you're up to?"

"Yes, I told him I was going to play a hooker, have sex with the target, and knock him out. I got some great pictures of him laying there naked after the knock out drops took effect."

"We heard everything, Jules," Nik said. "It was painful to listen to."

"Why is that?"

"Because we felt like we were listening to our baby sister having sex," Jeremiah said. "Instead of our baby sister playing a hooker."

"Dan told you two you would be too close to it," Julia said. "but we got what we came for. DNA. Pictures. Audio and video evidence. This guy's having sex with underage prostitutes. He should be in jail, not making policy decisions."

Julia took out Sizemore's wallet and opened it up. He had all the standard stuff: driver's license, national ID, pictures of his grandkids; he also had a wad of cash. More than enough to pay several hookers.

"He's got a ton of cash in here," Julia said. "What should we do with it? Dan said I could keep whatever I was paid, plus my pay for the assignment."

"How much is it?" Jeremiah asked.

"Enough to pay off several girls in one night."

She counted it. It was all in hundred dollar bills.

"Six fucking thousand dollars!" Julia exclaimed. "He was going to be a busy boy tonight! I only asked for five hundred. Looks like two thou a piece."

"We could do a lot with six grand in a short amount of time, if we were that type," Jeremiah said. "But I'll take my two grand and put it away for a rainy day."

"It'd buy a lot of baby toys," Nik said. "Or start a college fund for my kids."

"What about you, Jules?" Jeremiah asked. "What are you going to do with your cut?"

"Buy something nice for my mom," she said.

"Two grand would buy a lot of nice," Nik said. "Why don't you save it for a long term goal?"

"That's a thought," Julia said. "But for now, let's get the hell out of here. This place gives me the creeps!"

----------

He had a routine now. He got up and dressed, took a walk, and fetched the paper from the porch on his way in. Retired life was agreeing with Josiah Daniels. In the few weeks since he retired, he literally felt years of stress melt away.

Daniels smelled the bacon sizzling on the stove long before he reached the kitchen. Maryssa was fixing his breakfast as she had every morning since he joined her and her son at the house in Pass Christian. Maryssa would fix her own breakfast after Brandon left for school. Bacon, eggs and grits didn't appeal to her these days.

Brandon appeared just then, grabbed his backpack and headed out the door to the bus stop. "Bye, Mama; bye Josiah...see you after school!" he said.

"Bye, Brandon," his mother said.

Josiah opened the paper, and on the front page was a story about long time Committee Chairman Jed McClayne's death, and how the body had just been confirmed as being his after being burned in the fire at his home in Georgetown.

"Well, Jed McClayne's dead," Josiah said. "At least I don't have to worry about him anymore."

"How did they declare the man dead when you're sitting right in front of me?" asked Maryssa.

"It was part of the plan," Josiah said. "I don't know how they fudged the autopsy report, but I'm free at last, Maryssa!"

"I'm glad, Josiah," said Maryssa. "Now we can live the way we want, and not have to hide our relationship anymore."

"In a few months, my darlin'," Josiah said; "everyone will know about our love. It will be on display every time you walk out the door."

"I'm so happy to be having a baby with you, Josiah," Maryssa said. "I never thought I'd know such happiness."

"Me, either," Josiah said as he walked around the breakfast bar to give Maryssa a hug. "I love you so very much, my sweet darlin'. I'm a changed man. I wish I had seen the light sooner."

"It was all part of a plan bigger than us, Josiah," Maryssa said.

"I know, honey," Josiah said. "And I thank Him every day for bringing you into my life."

Just then, Maryssa broke away from him, went to the kitchen sink, turned on the water and threw up. "Damn morning sickness," she mumbled to herself.

Josiah grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl and cut it in half. He gave one half to Maryssa with a spoon. "Scrape out the flesh with the spoon and eat it. Scraping it releases pectin that will calm your stomach," he said.

"I didn't know that," Maryssa said. "Where did you learn that?"

"My granny was a midwife and she told all her expectant mamas that," Josiah said. "It works, I promise."

"It does!" Maryssa said, laughing. "I'll have to remember that!"

----------

Part 2--

Back in Chicagoland, Julia, Jeremiah and Nik met with Dan and David at Dan's office on the compound.

"It appears to be true that Lane Sizemore is getting more than his share of underage pussy," Dan said. "He had six grand in his wallet to pay hookers with!"

"He'd have gone all night if he hadn't met up with the lovely Ashley," David said, winking at Julia.

"I still don't think that Jere and Nik should have gone with Julia though," Dan said.

"You were right," Nik said. "We were too close to it. Listening to what was going on in that room just about made me sick."

"I know you guys want to work as a team," David said; "but if Julia plays any more hookers, my advice would be to let someone else do the recording of the audio and video."

"Maybe one of the other females," Jeremiah said. "I don't think I could ever do that again. No offense, Jules."

"None taken, Jere."

"Let me have someone process the physical evidence," Dan said. "Then we'll decide on strategy on the best way to bring this bastard down."

"What about the shit you have on Parks?" Jeremiah asked. "He's far worse than Sizemore is."

"Parks will get his," Dan said. "Trust me on that. The man is a beast."

"Beating his daughter, wife and several mistresses," David said. "Fucking barbaric if you ask me. I could never treat my daughters the way Parks treated his daughter. It would kill me to even think I could be capable of that."

"You're not, David," Julia said. "You respect women more than Carl Parks could even dream of."

"We'll bring down the whole Committee at some point," Dan said. "And they'll come down hard. We have to plan how it's all going to go down, and that could take a while. But they will fall, I promise you that, and take Madame President down with them."

"Well, look kiddies, I'd love to stay and listen to all the gory details, but I'm taking my brother in law to lunch in an hour," David said. "The more I talk to him, the more I like him. He's not a bad guy. And the more he tells me about Jordan when she was young, the more in love with her I become."

"Awww, how cute..." Julia teased. She still didn't trust Matt Terranova. She didn't care if he WAS her mother's brother.

David took his leave and went back to his office. Matt would meet him there in an hour.

----------

Terranova got lost on the compound. He didn't realize how large it really was. He liked that it bordered on the woods. He always liked exploring the woods near his family's summer home in Maine. He often dragged his little sister along. He taught her all about bugs and snakes and how to survive if she got lost. She was not like any little girl he'd known before or since. Jordan loved playing in the woods, loved learning new things, and she adored her brothers without question.

Then we had to betray her, Terranova thought bitterly. All those lost years we can't get back. Maybe if I'd known Julia as a child, she wouldn't be so suspicious of me now. Not that he didn't blame her for questioning his motives and timing. I probably would have done the same if it were me, he thought.

He finally found the main building on the compound where David's office was. But, Terranova noticed, he was much too early. David was in a meeting, so he'd have to wait.

He walked in through a door where another man was waiting for him to pass so he could leave. Terranova couldn't see the other man's face very well as he passed him.

He then heard an eerily familiar voice behind him,

"Well, Matthew Terranova... come to ingratiate yourself upon your sister and her family?"

Terranova turned around and stared the other man full in the face, and was taken aback by the other man's disfigurement.

"Who are you and how do you know my name?" asked Terranova.

"For the last seventeen years, I've been known as Morbus the Sickness," he said. "But before that you knew me as Jake Rossman. You, your brothers and parents turned your back on the mother of my child. I liked you, Matthew, and you betrayed me when you hurt the woman I loved."

"I don't understand," Terranova said; "You died seventeen years ago!"

"Yes, Jacob Rossman died seventeen years ago," Morbus said. "But I came to take his place."

"Man, this is too weird for me," said Terranova. "How do I know you're telling me the truth?"

"How do you know I'm not?"

"Look, man, I'm not here to rehash the past," Terranova said. "I came because because Jordan got shot, and I didn't think I'd get another chance to ask her to forgive me for my stupidity. Turns out she has a worse problem than taking a bullet, and I'll stay as long as she wants me to. You got a problem with that, Jake?"

"Don't ever call me that again," Morbus said angrily. "You lost that priviledge when you betrayed your sister. My name is Morbus, and that's how you'll address me. Don't make me hurt you, Matthew, because I know your sister still cares about her family, though why, I don't know."

"Fine, Morbus it is," Terranova said. "I'm going to meet David for lunch. I'm trying to get to know my sister all over again."

"I don't have a problem with that, Matthew," Morbus said. "But, this conversation between us, it never happened."

"Right," Terranova said. "Whatever you say."

He then walked away. What is up with these people? he thought. First Julia shoves a gun in my face in the middle of the night, now Jake's still alive and carries a grudge.

Neither one of them trust me, Terranova said to himself. And I don't blame them one bit.

----------

David's phone buzzed. It was the receptionist.

"Matt Terranova to see you, David," she said. "Is he related to Jordan?"

"Her brother, Viki."

"I see. Shall I send him back?"

"Yes, I'm expecting him."

Soon, Terranova was standing in the doorway of David's office.

"Damn this place is huge! I must have gotten lost ten times!" he said, laughing. "Was this location your idea?"

"No," David said. "We sent out a team of people years ago to find a place and this was the best of the locations that were scouted. A man named Peter San Marco laid this place out as it is now. Not bad for a man whose primary occupation was as a firearms instructor. He and his wife, Kiera, were Julia's guardians for the first twelve years of her life."

"Were?" asked Terranova. "Why aren't they now?"

"They were murdered by the New Army five years ago this August," David said. "It was from Peter San Marco that Julia got her weapons training, and the reason she's good with guns and other firearms."

"He must have been a hell of a teacher!" Terranova said.

"He taught his wards about weapons and survival training," David said. "His wife, Kiera, was a teacher by trade and home schooled her charges, even though it's still illegal for Undesirables to do so. And she's the reason why your niece is not still in high school. She taught all her charges far beyond what their ages indicated. Julia graduated from high school at fifteen."

"Wow! I knew that Jordan and Jacob were highly intelligent, and they passed that along to their daughter. Julia's not in school now, though, is she?"

"She's in our Academically Gifted Scholars program," David said. "It's for those who are way ahead of their peers academically. Julia wanted to wait until she was seventeen before she started applying to colleges. The AGS students get college credit for their work, and many usually enter college as juniors. Julia's on track to do just that."

"What about your daughters, David," said Terranova. "I imagine they're probably pretty smart. They talk like children much older than they are."

"My daughters are pretty smart, but you have to remember they're not even two years old yet. We never spoke in babytalk or anything like that to them, so they picked up language pretty easily. Niki was the first to say a real word before she was a year old," David said.

"Probably not 'mama' or 'dada', huh?" asked Terranova.

David chuckled remembering Niki's first word. "No, those were her second and third words. Her first word was 'poop'."

Terranova let out a big belly laugh. "That's priceless! My son's first word was 'car'. He was maybe over a year old."

"Let's get going, Matt," David said, still chuckling. "There's this little eatery nearby I've taken Jordan to many times, and I think you'll like it, too."

"Lead on, David," Terranova said.

----------

Sizemore awoke to the sound of someone knocking on the door. He wasn't exactly sure where he was.

He saw that he was naked, and that the girl he had brought there was long gone.

"Just a moment!" he called while he quickly got dressed. When he looked presentable, he answered the door.

The motel manager was there, along with two police officers.

"You either pay for the rest of your stay, or you leave," the manager said. "Your friend has long since left."

"I'll pay for the rest of the day," Sizemore said and reached for his wallet.

It was not in his pocket.

He excused himself and checked his coat. No wallet there, either.

Sizemore began to panic. He had no way to pay, nor any way to prove his identity. He realized that he didn't pay Ashley the night before, so she probably took his wallet.

He returned to the door. "I'm sorry," he said. "I must have misplaced my wallet. I'll leave instead."

"Sir, you'll have to go with the officers, then," the manager said. "You've been here two days, and I'll need payment. If you can't pay, then you'll have to speak with the officers."

"All right," Sizemore said. "I'll have to call someone to bring me some cash so I can pay you."

"Go with the officers, sir."

Great, Sizemore thought. Now everyone will know what a horndog I am. Getting ripped off by a teenage hooker! I'll kill that girl the next time I see her!

Sizemore accompanied the officers. He saw the wrecker that would take his car to the impound lot. Fuck my life, he thought to himself. Guess I gotta call Doug to bail me out.

Calling Doug was something Lane Sizemore was loathe to do. He'd get a lecture about how irresponsible he was. But, Sizemore would suck it up and deal with it.

It was facing his wife that would be worse.

----------

Following her uncle was easy, but the fact he was with David concerned Julia.

Why is David taking this guy to Mom's favorite place? she asked herself.

She sat in Ryan's car out of sight where David could possibly see her. She wanted to know more about this man who claimed to be her uncle. Julia had done her own intel, and he seemed to be legit to her, but his timing still concerned her. Out of all the times that he could have gotten back in touch with his sister, why now? Julia thought.

The only reason she could come up with was that their father was dead and Matt could look for his sister without their father getting his nose out of joint. What makes a parent disown their own child? wondered Julia. Something as simple as falling in love with someone of another race or faith seemed stupid to her. But some of those old fogeys got all offended if their child didn't live up to their lofty expectations of them. Did they forget that when they leave home, their now grown child is going to do what they want?

It was something else that Julia found that pissed her off, though. When she confronted her uncle in his bedroom that first night, she accused his father of turning in Jordan because of her relationship with Jacob. What she found out was what came out of her mouth as an accusation was actually true, and it sickened her. Her mother was betrayed by her own father for money and favors from the Illegals. Julia didn't see the name of her grandmother or her uncles in the information she got; just her grandfather. And she realized that Jordan, Matt, nor their two surviving brothers had no clue about what their father had done.

She decided at that point to drive back to her apartment. If her uncle was someone who would be working for the Illegals, he'd probably have done something to threaten her mother and David by now. She still hoped she was wrong about that though. Then she'd have to kill him.

"No one fucks over my family and lives to tell about it," Julia mumbled to herself. "Not even good ole Uncle Matt."

----------

Jordan had gotten some good news. She was well enough to go home in the next couple of days, but her activities would still be severely curtailed. That meant no housework, cooking, cleaning, or running after her daughters. She was on bed rest until her doctors were satisfied that the anenurysm was fully healed.

She had planned on at least being able to plan her daughters' second birthday party in April, but even that would have to be done by someone else.

She was happy that her brother made the effort to ask for her forgiveness over the years they had lost touch because of their father's stubborness. She had worshipped her father as a child, believing he could do no wrong. Then she came home with Jacob and announced they were expecting a child. After that visit, her father called her and asked that she not visit again, and that he was disappointed in her. "You're not my daughter," he had said. "I don't have a daughter anymore."

It was shortly after that phone call that Jordan learned the New Army was looking for her.

She never knew why her brothers turned against her, but she had figured that their father pressured them to. Maybe they had been threatened with being cut out of their father's life as well.

It's too bad, Jordan found herself thinking on more than one occasion over the years, that Daddy couldn't accept my choice, and never met his granddaughter. Julia was named after her maternal great grandmother.

But I can't worry about that now, she thought. I have to get well, and get stronger so I can be a good mother to my children and a good wife for my husband.

Jordan did wonder if her little daughters would fight over taking care of their mama. That made Jordan smile.

----------

Part 3--

"It's not every day that we get a member of the Committee in here on failure to pay a motel bill charges," said the officer who was fingerprinting Sizemore. "Usually, there's a hooker involved. Neil Hope was bad about that. Not a good thing for the President's husband to be accused of, huh?"

"I said I'd pay the bill as soon as I could get a hold of someone who could bring me some cash," Sizemore said.

"In the meantime, you're still going to get booked."

"What if I described the bitch I was with," Sizemore said; "She stole my wallet and my ID."

"If you don't pay 'em, Mr. Sizemore, then they get real pissed off," the officer said. "They ain't giving their shit away for free, you know. But go ahead, tell me what the girl looked like."

"Short brown hair, green eyes," Sizemore began; "eighteen, maybe nineteen years old; about five-three, a buck-ten. Ashley was her name. She had great tits for a girl her size."

Hmmm, thought the officer, sounds like the agent the Disturbed Ones were sending out. This guy is toast if they make the info they got public.

"I'll have someone look up the girl and see if she's one of the regulars," the officer said; "but she doesn't sound familiar."

Sizemore just sighed. No one was going to do any looking up for him. To them, he was just another old man looking for a good time with a young girl.

"Okay, Mr. Sizemore, time for your mugshot," the officer said.

After the mugshot, Sizemore was able to make his one phone call. Doug was not happy about Lane's predicament, but agreed to post his bond and get a hold of a copy of his Capitol Sector ID. Sizemore sensed Doug wasn't happy, but he knew that the man would come through for him... again.

Wasn't that what "special friends" were for?

----------

"What is this shit?!" Carl Parks raged when he got the envelope in the mail and opened it. Inside were photographs of Parks with other women, some of whom were photographed after being beaten. One of those pictures was of his own daughter. Parks was sure his daughter, who he hadn't spoken to since she was sixteen, was behind the mailing.

And he couldn't have been more wrong. True, Lucyn provided the information, but the blackmail threat didn't come from her.

It didn't even come from the Disturbed Ones, which would have been Parks' second choice.

"You don't want your secrets to get out, do you Mr. Chairman?" the note had read. "Then you'll do what we say. Wait for a call to your office number in the next 72 hours with instructions."

Parks knew if the information got out about his bastard children or that he liked to rough up women who disobeyed him, it would ruin him. Whatever the blackmailers wanted, he would make sure they'd get.

He didn't understand that it was a trap. He thought he was too smart for that. It was the last thing that would enter his mind.

That is, until the SpineSplitter showed up.

----------

All the pieces were in place for Joe and Tracy's return to Kittery with their almost two month old daughter, Danica. The baby was healthy, growing normally, and had her two month shots. She was a bright and sunny baby whose blue eyed gaze settled adoringly on her parents and her favorite toy.

"I've really liked it here, Joey," Tracy said. "I almost hate to leave."

"Now you have family here, too," Joe said. "And they all love you. I told you they would, didn't I?"

"That you did, my darling," Tracy said as she kissed Joe on the cheek. "Danica really likes that stuffed butterfly that Julia and Ryan gave her," she said, changing the subject.

"I like how it makes different sounds," Joe said. "And that Julia had the foresight to buy six of them!"

Tracy laughed; "At least Danica will always have one."

"True that," Joe said. "In two weeks, we'll be back in Kittery, and I'll be back on the boat your dad renamed for our little girl."

"I'm glad that Jeremiah found someone to share his life with," Tracy said. "Jasmine is a beautiful girl."

"At least I'm not leaving him here alone," Joe said. "He's got all of the family around him. And Jasmine is a nice addition."

Danica awoke from her nap with a whimper. Joe went to go see her.

"How's my little princess?" he said to her. "Ready to get up and see your mama?"

Oh, but not yet, Joe thought. "You've got a diaperful of somethin', little girl! Phew!"

He quickly changed his daughter's diapers, put her into a clean and dry sleeper, and carried her out to Tracy to be breastfed.

Yep, Joe thought as he watched Tracy nurse their daughter, I'm going to miss ole Chicagoland; but my place is with my family now.

----------

The phone rang in the little house just inside the Baltimore city limits. The Crist family had lived there for close to forty years. They were strong, faith filled people who helped others even when they themselves were struggling. Jayme knew of her parents struggles when she was a child. They often went without if it meant someone else had food, clothing or shelter.

Jayme couldn't live like that, and left home to attend college and never came back; until she got hurt in the last place anyone would think was safe- a law firm's offices.

At the moment, Jayme was the only one home. She picked up the old rotary phone she remembered as a child. "Hello?"

"Jayme, it's Neil."

Jayme felt her heart beat a mile a minute. She wasn't sure if it was out of fear, or desire.

"Neil, I asked you not to call unless it was to tell me you're getting help," said Jayme.

"Jayme!" Neil said quickly, afraid Jayme would hang up on him; "that's why I'm calling. I've been getting help, and it's been an eye opening experience. I had a mental breakdown, so that slowed things down some, but I'm getting better every day, and I'll be released soon."

"That's great news, Neil," Jayme said. "I'm glad that whatever you had to go through to get to this point is helping you. But what does this have to do with me?"

"I want to see you, Jayme," Neil said. "All I can think about is proving to you that I've changed."

"I don't know, Neil," Jayme said, torn between believing him or not believing him; "You're still a married man."

"I'm going to ask my wife for a divorce," Neil said. "I can't live in her world anymore. She brings out bad things in me that I don't like about myself."

"You know what kind of press that will get?" asked Jayme, shocked that Neil would actually say that. "Everyone will assume you're leaving for someone else, and I don't want to be that someone else caught in the middle of it all."

"I know, baby, but I need you," said Neil desperately. "I have property on the Maryland Eastern Shore that my wife doesn't know about. It's been in my family for three generations. I spent summers there as a child with my grandparents. We could meet there."

"I know the Eastern Shore pretty well, Neil," Jayme said, seriously contemplating it. "When will you be released?"

"February 2nd," said Neil.

"If I meet you, it won't be until the fifth," Jayme said. "I have a doctor's appoinment on the second, and I'm volunteering at my church's soup kitchen on the fourth."

"The fifth is a Friday," Neil said. "We could spend the weekend together."

"I'd like that, Neil," Jayme said. "I would like to see you again and talk about if there's a future for us."

"I'll email you directions when I get there. Would that be okay?"

"That will be fine. Use my personal email. I don't have access to the one at the office anymore," Jayme said. She gave him her personal email address, and they talked for a few more moments, then hung up.

Jayme sat heavily in the old office chair. She was convinced she'd just lost her mind, agreeing to meet Neil in a secluded location.

She saw her late father's guns in the guncase against the far wall. She knew how to use them. She'd take one of those with her, and pray she wouldn't need it.

She wanted to trust Neil. Her heart wanted to believe he'd changed. She didn't know that he would prove to her that he had, and had no idea what his future plans were. Maybe he would tell her on February fifth.

----------

Neil heard Jayme click off the line. She'd agreed to meet him! He couldn't wait to show her how much he had changed and how much he wanted her in his life.

He was sixty-two years old, and he felt like a schoolboy who just asked the most popular girl in school to go out with him and she said yes. Only Jayme could make him feel this way, even when he was the way he had been before.

He felt like he had his anger and his violent urges under control for the first time in his life. He'd always been angry, he realized. From the moment his father punished him with a strap when he was six, he was angry. Only his mother and grandparents showed him any real love, affection and encouragement. Then his mother died when he was sixteen. He couldn't allow his father to abuse him and his sister Casey any more. So their grandparents took them in and finished raising them.

Now, he felt free. He needed to show someone he had truly changed.

That someone was a thirty year old secretary he had fallen in love with. Wanted to have children with. Wanted to grow older with. She opened the door a crack just for him. He wasn't going to disappoint her.

----------

Part 4--

Jordan came home nearly two weeks after being shot and finding out her health was in jeopardy. She now had to stay in bed until her doctors cleared her to resume normal activities. She had been told it might take a while, but she was patient.

Her daughters were thrilled to see their mama at last! They chattered at her the whole trip home from the hospital, then as their father helped her into the house and into bed. They kept chattering at her until their father said,

"Now, ladies, Mama has to rest. She can't go chasing after you two when you get into something you're not supposed to. You have to help me, and Julia, and the nurses who come to visit Mama, to take care of her. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, Daddy," they both said solemnly.

"You have to be extra good so that Mama doesn't get upset, okay?"

"Yes, Daddy."

"That means no fighting with each other over toys and stuff. And," David paused, then continued, "you have to take your naps and go to bed without complaining."

"Can we bring her cookies?" Niki asked.

"And ice cream?" asked Kimber.

"Yes, you can do that," David said. "But don't fight over it."

"Okay, Daddy."

David looked at his daughters. He wondered how long their good behavior would last. Not that they weren't good, but there were times where David wanted to pull his hair out; that is, if he had any.

"Mama needs to take a nap, so you two need to do the same, okay?"

"Okay." And they both ran to their bedroom and got right into bed to take their naps. Kimber didn't even complain.

David looked over at Jordan, who was half asleep herself.

"How did you do that?" she asked.

"Do what?"

"Get the girls to behave themselves?"

David looked in the direction of the twins' bedroom. "Damned if I know," he said, chuckling softly.

----------

The band had gotten some good news. There were several protests going on in various parts of the country by Disturbed Ones followers. Many of them were "flash mobs", large groups of people who had heard of the protest via social networking sites. They gathered in a predetermined location, protest for five to ten minutes, then disperse before New Army troops or local police could arrive to arrest them. One of the biggest was in Austin, in the SouthWest Region. Austin had been David's adopted hometown until shortly after the illegitimate government took power. New Army troops who responded to the Austin flash mob hoped to find David there, as it took place on the grounds of his home there. But the people had already left, and David's home had been locked up for years.

"I'm loving this flash mob thing, guys!" David exclaimed. "I didn't even know what a 'flash mob' was until Jordan told me."

"The one in Austin had nearly a thousand people," John said. He also had a home there, and was a native of the state formerly known as Texas. "I wish I could have been there to see it."

"Group leaders are posting pictures on our website," Mike said. "David, it looks like your speech at the rally really hit home. The people are energized! I feel like going to the next one near here in disguise!"

"They've been looking for us at the sites where the flash mobs gather, especially in places where we lived before coming to the compound," Dan said. "So Mike, going to one in Madison or Green Bay probably isn't a good idea."

"What if we went to ones in places were they wouldn't think to look," John said. "Like, say, Boston, where Jordan is from; or Oklahoma City, where Jasmine Cantrell's parents live?"

"A lot of the announcements are in code," Dan said, "so that New Government supporters don't get wind of them. The location names are well known nicknames. Like the one in Austin was at the 'Jewish Cowboy' from 3:13pm to 3:18pm."

David laughed. "I never considered myself a cowboy! Though I like the time it began. Sounds like the name of a bar, the Jewish Cowboy."

Mike said, "Maybe we should pay attention to the social networking sites more."

"I just like that they're taking this seriously enough to organize these protests," David said. "Wonder what the Committee thinks of that!"

"They're not liking it, that's for damn sure," John said.

-----------

"What the fuck is a flash mob!" Parks raged at the members of the Committee. "There are too many of them out there protesting our government! Something needs to be done about it!"

"They're too quick for our troops and police to catch," Sizemore said. "And they get word through social networking about them. We probably will have to wait until a major protest in order to do something."

"Let them think they're getting away with something," suggested Sasser; "then swoop down on the big rallies and arrest people."

"None of this would have happened if the damn assassin hadn't failed again at eliminating Draiman," Parks said angrily. "That man, and his bodyguard, are damn near immortal!"

"Well, one of them almost got his wife, but of course, there had to be a nurse there to keep her from bleeding to death," Sizemore said. "A third assassin almost got her before Jeremiah Donovan killed him."

"I thought that he was incapacitated," Parks said. "So how was he able to shoot someone."

"People do recover from non fatal gunshot wounds, you know," Sasser said. "We got Jordan Draiman, and she'll recover from hers as well. But she has a worse medical problem that's being treated."

"We can't seem to kill anyone these days," Parks said. "At least not Draiman and his band. How inept are our assassins anyway? Julia Terranova could shoot rings around our shooters. Too bad the little bitch didn't stay dead."

"We can't turn her or members of her family to our side, so forget even suggesting it," Sizemore said. "We'll just have to find better people to train our snipers."

Parks sighed, knowing that Sizemore was right.

----------

In a remote part of the SouthWest Region, there was a battle going on. Food was getting scarce, water was severly rationed, and personal gardens were being trampled daily by New Army troops to keep the Undesirables under control. Many of the Undesirables there spoke little to no English. Migrant farm workers were being arrested every day, accused of helping the resistance movement known as the Disturbed Ones by sending information out in code. A lot of the farm workers didn't understand the charges against them. They were thrown in jails and essentially forgotten. Many died from starvation and malnutrition. The dead were buried in mass graves, forgotten by all except those who searched for them without success.

This was one of the first duties of Carl Parks' Committee. Make the Undesirables dependent on them for their very survival. Those who complained or protested what was happening joined the migrants in the jails. That's how a man named Luke ended up there.

Luke spoke fluent Spanish, and helped the migrants understand what was going on, and stood up for them in the so-called courts. Then Luke himself ended up in a cell, left to suffer the same fate as those he sought to protect.

Luke was a smart and ingenious man, however, and found ways to make life easier. He shared his knowledge with those around him. When one day about a week after he was arrested, he found a way out. It would require Luke to injure or possibly kill the one guard who watched over the nearly one hundred prisoners.

If his plan worked, he could free everyone from the hellhole that had become their home. If it didn't, he would die.

The night came when the guard showed up at his post drunk. He was overconfident that his very presence would keep the prisoners in line. This was the key to Luke's plan. Killing the guard would be easy because his inebriation left him with slow reflexes. Luke had been taught his entire life that killing was a sin, but even God would forgive him for defending those who could not defend themselves.

His father taught him to not judge people by who they are and who they choose to associate with. Luke was also taught compassion, caring, and justice. It was these things that led him to law school in the first place. His father ingrained in him, "Don't make my mistakes, son. I lost contact with my only sister forever because of my mistakes."

Now he was a lawyer, and it was his duty to help those who were unable to help themselves. It's why he lived in the poorest of the SouthWest Region's communities. It was with these people he learned how cruel the New Government could be. This is what the Disturbed Ones fought against. It was what the rally in the Chicago Sector just a few weeks prior was all about. Supporting the cause wasn't enough, it was action that won the day. This was Luke's action; to free himself and the other prisoners. Once the guard was incapacitated, he knew that they only had a few hours to get as far away as they could. Luke already knew where he was going.

"Luke," one of his cellmates said, "it is time. The guard is passed out. Several men have tied him to the bars of a cell, so he won't be able to chase us when we leave. The next shift comes in at 8am."

"Thank you, Parker," Luke said to the man, a Native American law student who had been caught protesting the New Government the same day as Luke. "We should leave now. Do you have the guard's keys?"

"Yes," Parker said. "The cells are unlocked. They're waiting for word on when to leave."

"Tell them-- now," Luke said.

Within twenty minutes, all the prisoners were on their way to points unknown, all of them stopping to thank Luke for freeing them. Luke had a destination in mind as well. He would meet his father and sister in Dallas, then they would head to the Chicago Sector together. While Luke and his sister were seeking justice, their father would be seeking something else.

Forgiveness.

----------

"Holy Mother of God!" Dan said as he read the intel that had come in the night before; "There's been a breakout at a remote jail in the SouthWest Region!"

"Awesome!" John said. "How did the prisoners do it?"

"The one guard on duty was drunk," Dan said. "The prisoners tied him to the bars of a cell and they all escaped. When the guard woke up from his drunk, he found that he had no keys, no radio, no way to contact anyone for help. He was there, incapacitated, until the next shift came in."

"Served him right," Mike said. "Bet he got into a shit load of trouble."

"No doubt," Dan said. "Too bad David isn't here to read this report."

"He'll read it later, I'm sure," Mike said.

"He'll find it interesting for sure," Dan said.

"Why's that?" asked John.

"Because the men who masterminded the plan were a 31 year old lawyer named Luke Terranova, and a 25 year old law student named Parker RedCrow," Dan said.

"They'll have a high price on their heads for sure," John said.

"One of the men was named Terranova?" Mike asked. "Any relation to Jordan and Matt?"

"Possibly," Dan said. "One of her brothers is named Luke, but he's older than Jordan is. This guy is 31... a nephew, maybe?"

"We'd have to ask Jordan or Matt about that," John said.

"I'll call David," Dan said.

----------

Parker and Luke travelled to Dallas together, where Parker met Luke's dad and sister. Parker was headed to Oklahoma where he had family, and it was at this point the two men went their separate ways.

"I hope we meet again someday," Parker said, giving Luke a hug.

"Count on it," Luke said. "You're going to make an excellent lawyer, Parker. Keep up your studies and I hope the next time we meet, you have passed the bar."

"Thanks for the encouragement, Luke," said Parker; "It means a lot coming from you."

The men went their own ways, and Luke rejoined his sister and father.

"Luke, we need to get out of here," Jordana said. "I've been hearing on the radio that the New Army is trying to round up as many escapees as they can."

"Let's go then," Luke said.

They got in the car with their father. As he started driving, Luke, Sr. said,

"I want to tell you how proud I am of all you've done to help people. If we can win this damn war against the New Government, you're sure to be one of those who will be remembered for your bravery and compassion."

"Thanks, Dad," Luke said. "But I didn't do anything special. I do what I do because it's right, not because I want recognition."

"That sounds like something your Aunt Jordan would say," Luke, Sr. said. "I can't wait for you and Jordana to meet her!"

"Why haven't we met her before now?" Jordana asked.

"Because your father was a damn fool, that's why," said Luke, Sr. sadly. "I let your grandfather rule my life and my thoughts for far too long. It cost me precious time with my only sister. She has kids of her own, cousins you haven't met."

"You'll be able to talk to her when we get there, won't you?" Jordana asked.

"I hope she'll see me," Luke, Sr. said. "She got back in touch with your Uncle Matt, so I hope she'll let me back in her life as well."

----------

Parks was royally pissed off by the news coming out of the SouthWest Region.

One hundred people escaped from a poorly run jail guarded over by a drunk guard. God only knew where those people went to now.

He had sent New Army troops to round up the escapees, but have been unable to find any of them. The two they really wanted to get were long gone. The guard couldn't identify anyone he was supposed to be guarding. All he knew was that they were all Undesirables, all spoke Spanish, and all were gone.

"That's a hundred more Undesirables out there who are thumbing their noses at us," Parks said aloud to no one. "And no one can find any of them? How stupid are these people we pay to watch over them?"

He paced back and forth across the floor. There was a knock at the door. "Come in!" Parks practically growled at the poor girl who delivered the mail.

"Mr. Parks," she said nervously, "this just came for you. It's marked 'urgent', so I thought I'd bring it up now, but if it's not a good time..."

"It's okay, Brittany," Parks said to the 22 year old college senior who was clerking for him, "I'll take it. Sorry to be so gruff. Have a lot on my mind."

Brittany put the package down on the desk and scurried out of the office. As she left, Parks thought, I'd tap that ass in a heartbeat. Wonder if she'd let me?

He turned his attention to the large manila envelope that sat on his desk. He opened it and took out the contents. He saw many pictures of himself with various young women in compromising positions. Oh, fuck, he thought, is this another blackmail scheme? Weren't they happy with what he gave them last time?

Included with the pictures was a note: "Wanna make this all go away? All it takes is one hundred thousand dollars and your resignation as Chairman. Further instructions are forthcoming."

"Oh, hell no," Parks said, throwing the pictures and the note in the shredder; "no one threatens me and gets away with it!"

He promptly forgot all about it. That is, until the further instructions arrived.

----------

Matt Terranova ended his visit with his sister and her family on a good note with promises to keep in touch. He would encourage his surviving brothers and their families to do the same.

Terranova thought it would be best to let Jordan rest up and get well. It had been a good visit, and he felt good about his relationship with his sister for the first time since she was 23 years old.

He returned to Boston to the big house he raised his family in, and where his father died a little more than a year before. Remembering something that Julia (who still wasn't convinced he was legit) said the night she held him at gunpoint, he went to where his father's personal effects had been stored since his death.

He had an idea what he was looking for, and he hoped to God that he didn't find anything like that. It would make him think differently about the man who raised him and his siblings. That he was capable of betraying his own child to the enemy.

Terranova started to feel relieved after looking through his father's papers, not finding any evidence that Giovanni Terranova turned his daughter over to the New Government. But then, he found the big envelope marked "Jordan" at the bottom of the pile.

Inside were check stubs and a letter, thanking him for turning in an Undesirable citizen. The Undesirable citizen named in the letter was one Jordan Michelle Terranova, age 23.

Terranova read part of the letter:

"This is to thank you for reporting that Jordan Michelle Terranova is an Undesirable Citizen as defined by our government. Please find enclosed a check for your information.... if there is anything further we can do to assist you, please don't hesitate to ask."

The letter was signed by Carl Parks "Assistant Chairman for the Committee to Advance the New Government".

Terranova felt like he was going to be sick. "You heartless bastard! You turned your own daughter over to the New Government because she didn't live up to your lofty standards? For money? Papa, how could you?!"

----------

1 comment:

  1. I guess i am going to have to start at the beginning huh? =)

    ReplyDelete